To set up a sole proprietorship or partnership, you must be:

  • At least 18 years old
  • A Singapore Citizen, Singapore Permanent Resident, or an EntrePass Holder

If you are currently self-employed, you must top up your Medisave account with the CPF Board before you register a business, become a new owner of an existing business, or renew your business registration. Visit the CPF Board website for more information regarding Medisave.

After registration, business owners are required to keep their Medisave contributions with CPF Board up-to-date. Otherwise, the business may be subjected to early cancellation.

Can a foreigner register a sole proprietorship?

Foreigners who are residing overseas and want to register either a sole proprietorship or a partnership must appoint at least one locally resident authorised representative. The foreign owner(s) must also engage a registered filing agent (e.g. a law firm, accounting firm, or corporate secretarial form) to submit the application via BizFile+.

Foreigners who are currently residing in Singapore must seek approval from the Ministry of Manpower before registering a sole proprietorship or a partnership. If any of the proposed partners do not have a SingPass account, the applicants must engage the services of a registered filing agent (e.g. a law firm, accounting firm or corporate secretarial firm) to submit the application on their behalf. Only individuals with a SingPass or CorpPass account can submit an application on BizFile+.

Who can be an authorised representative of a sole proprietorship or partnership?

An authorised representative must be:

  • A natural person
  • At least 18 years old
  • Of full legal capacity
  • Ordinarily resident in Singapore (i.e. has a Singapore residential address)

Appointment of an authorised representative is required in the following scenarios:

  • Sole-proprietorship – The sole owner is residing outside of Singapore.
  • Partnership – All the partners are residing outside of Singapore.
To appoint an authorised representative, please go to Bizfile > eServices> Business (Sole proprietor/Partnership)> Change in Business Information including Appointment/Cessation of Business Owner/Authorised Representative. Endorsement by the appointed authorised representative(s) is required.
Did you find this page useful?
back to top